Friday, July 27, 2012

Laughing Moon Silverado Corset #8 FINISHED!


So here it is, all flossed and looking pretty. 




Here are some close ups of the flossing details. This was my first attempt, and I have to admit that I was inspired by these images from demeasuringtape's livejournal page.

bottom edge flossing design

close up of the front, where several bones meet close together. 
top of the half length bones that run up the hip
obsessive woven flossing for the bones around the laces
These areas will see extra wear, so I'm hoping that weaving the flossing will reinforce it. 
top edge flossing. I tried very hard to keep these consistent, but is was a struggle, as not all the bones went down at the same angle. 
Overall, I am incredibly pleased with this project. Fitting a corset is a challenge because you not only need to fit your shape, but you need to fit a garment that is intended to change your shape. All of those challenges need to be addressed in the fitting process. Even with that being the case, this pattern went together very smoothly for me. I chose to spend a lot of time on picky hand sewing details, but they were not necessary to build a functional, finished corset.

Just for fun, here is an estimate of the time spent on this project:

one Craft Day in 2009
for initial pattern adjustments
4 hours
7/14/12
unboned fitting & pattern adjustments
6 hours
7/15/12
cut new muslin
partially boned fitting
6 hours
7/16/12
pattern adjustments
cut & construct new muslin
fully boned fitting
final pattern adjustments
cut and sew seams for 2 layers of coutil
14 hours
7/17/12
constructing final corset
5 hours
7/19/12
setting grommets
sewing boning channels
cutting & inserting boning
6 hours
7/20/12
binding edges
hand sewing edge trim
4 hours
7/21/12
complete trimming & start flossing experiments
4 hours
7/22/12
experiment with flossing
2 hours
7/23/12
flossing
3 hours
7/24/12
flossing
3 hours
7/26/12
flossing
5 hours
7/27/12
setting last two grommets
30 minutes
total time62.5 hours

The estimated time from Farthingales Corsets was 8 hours for construction time only. I came pretty close to that estimate if you look at the time spent to sew the final version, set the grommets, cut and place the bones, and machine sew the edge binding, but it's the rest of the process that is so time consuming. However, that's really why I sew... it's cheap entertainment, if you consider the hours I spend on it. 

Would I recommend this pattern?
Absolutely. The Silverado is a great pattern if you need extra bust support. As someone with a large different between the underbust and full bust measurements, this pattern makes it easy to accomodate with out fussing endlessly with princess seams. However, it's a tedious and complicated project. Do this one when you need a truly tailored corset, you have the time, and there's no off-the-rack version that will do. Bring your sewing skills to this project, go slow, make lots of muslins, and the pattern really does reward you. 

2 comments:

Eurielle said...

I just have discovered your blog and really, really like it.
I read all the post you've written since you've started it and you are an amazing seamstress.
It seems that you haven't been blogging in a while and I really hope you are ok.
Take care.
E.

ajpiffle said...

Eurielle,

Thanks for the nice comment! Everything is fine, I've got a new project in the works, but school is back in session, so it's harder to find the time to blog. I will post on the new project in the next month or so.

--Alice