As part of my costumery for The Steampunk World's Fair, I am putting together a group costume with friend. Three of us are going to be airship stewardesses. We are also going to have a mechanic, a captain, and perhaps a co-pilot or SP TSA agent. It should be good times.
For the stewardess costume we are going to use Truly Victorian #423 for the top and Truly Victorian #291 for the skirt. I've just started on the bodice and don't have any exciting pictures yet, but here is the concept drawing from the Truly Victorian website:
We are using a brassy silk for the sides and sleeves and a dark burgundy for the contrast centers, cuffs, and collars.
I love the Truly Victorian system for choosing pattern sizes. Instead of having standard sizing based solely on bust and wait measurements, you take your bust, waist, back length, back width, and armhole circumference. For a bodice like this with multiple pieces that join together, you select back pieces based on your back width and then choose front pieces based on bust - back width. The idea is that you'll get a better fit if you understand that your total circumference is not evenly distributed.
For those of us that are bustier, this makes perfect sense. Of course more of my circumference is in the front! This pattern method allows you to start out with this fact taken into account and I'm very interested to see how it works out.
When we took my back length measurement, I came out at a 13.5" length which is absurdly short. It's 2" shorter than their shortest pattern option, so I'm still going to require some pretty massive adjustments.
I've traced the pattern pieces and I'm ready to get started on muslin #1 as soon as I have time to cut out fabric.