Friday, May 31, 2013

What's next?

Looking forward, I'm thinking about three things:

1) Yet Another Corset
I'd like to continue the hunt for a supportive, slightly waist reducing, and comfortable corset. I get closer every time, but I'm not there yet.

2) Tea Gown
I have this pattern for a fantastic tea gown. I've already made one version for my mother, but I have 5 yards of blue silk velvet that has been waiting to be a part of this project for almost 8 years now.




3) Ada Lovelace Costume
As a female computer scientist and seamstress, I'm not sure that I can avoid making this costume for much longer. 
See here for more info about Ada.

First of all, she worked carefully with Charles Babbage on his Analytical Engine and gets the credit at the first programmer. 

Second of all, did you see that hair?

Third, this is just a beautiful gown. 

This portrait is thought to be painted about 1837, a.k.a. The Era of Very Few Patterns. My options seems to be this Truly Victorian pattern, and not much else:

This looks close, but not quite right. My other thought was to get more fullness at the back of the skirt by combining these two TV patterns:

TV103: Elliptical Cage Crinoline
TV247: Elliptical Skirt




With something like this bodice, but with some additional sleeve poufs:

TV442: 1860s Ball Gown bodice


No comments: