Monday, May 19, 2008

notes from the class

When we last left our heroine, she was waiting for the second half of her sewing class to get some help with the final pattern adjustments.

I went to class on May 11th can got some feedback about the adjustments I was thinking about making to the yoke and some advice about how to deal with the extreme angle of the sleeve cuffs.

I ended up making the yoke pattern 5/8" wider at the shoulder point:


That also meant that I had to return the sleeve cap to its original height:


In order to counteract the angle of the sleeve, my instructor suggested that I curve the cuff edge of the sleeve down 4" (we measured first to decide exactly how much to adjust it).


I spent the rest of the class redrawing the pattern and cutting out the actual fabric I intended to use for the project. It took about 4 hours to get everything cut out.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Did you make your hood, too? I am sewing a gown, hood, and beret for my physics professor daughter, and am not interested in re-inventing the wheel! Thanks for the great tips on the appliqued sleeve bars. I, too, am not fond of working on velvet!