Monday, April 20, 2009

Vogue 8353

I am making this dress for a pre-wedding party in May. Right now it's still in progress, so a full review is forthcoming. Right now, here are some photos of the construction process.

Design view:



There is a LOT of hand basting involved to get the palid to line up reliably:



But it really helps stabilize the tucks during machine sewing:



This really pays off, even up close:



Here is the back pinned to my dress form:
The first fitting:

At the May Party:

we were having a great time. The party was sort of carnival themed (actually, we had a medicine show). My handsome fiance is standing on the strong man game. I had just won a fabulous fake mustache for performing very poorly at the strong man game.


I have reviewed the pattern fully on PatternReview.com. My biggest complaint is that you lose a LOT of width in the area of the tucks. I made the pattern for a 28" waist and measured when I was done: 27.5" Beware! Definitely go a size or two up in this. There are so few seams that it's not too terrible to adjust after the tucks if you have some room. This was a totally fun project and absolutely fit our party to a "T" .

7 comments:

Laura said...

I LOVE it. You are doing a great job!! I look forward to seeing the finished product. Laura

Anonymous said...

great job! I made this and my tucks were not nearly as nice... your's look much nicer!

Bunny said...

Fabulous!

EmilyKate said...

HI there, popped over from your PR review to have a peep- looking good so far! I look forward to the finished result.

高雄 said...

Necessity is the mother of invention..........................

點至 said...

^^~~輕輕鬆鬆的逛部落格,多謝有您的分享哦~~~..............................

florentinescot said...

Love the dress. Hope everything is going ok with you -- you've not posted in a while (Like I've looked at it in a while .....) Oh, the joys of Academic life!