Sunday, September 6, 2015

3D printed dress form

So, a lot has happened since my last update. Mainly, I had a kid. That put a hitch in my sewing mojo for quite a while. I'm looking forward to getting back to sewing. To that end, I invested in a 3D printed dress form from Bits of Thread in Washington, DC.

Seriously, I'm so excited about this I can barely stand it. Now I just need to figure out when I'll have time for a new project.

Here are pictures. It does come with  a stand, but that is shipping separately.











3 comments:

Sam said...

I'm considering a form from bits of thread, too. Can you say a bit about the process of getting scanned? How long did the whole thing take, start to finish? Surely you didn't get scanned when you were pregnant...? What do you think of the quality of the foam, the cover, the stand, etc? Do tell!

ajpiffle said...

Sam, The process of getting scanned took less than on hour. Easily the hardest part was finding parking in Adams Morgan.

I did not get scanned well pregnant :) The foam is dense but squished with pressure. I haven't tried putting a corset on it yet. When/If I do, I may use ratchet straps to do the first stage of compression before putting the corset on. Once compressed, the foam holds it's shape for some time (days) before slowly returning to the original dimension.

The form comes with a hospital grade IV stand, so it's free hanging, but there is also a PVC pipe running up the center, so I could be mounted on a stand if you had one already. You can choose your over fabric, but they are all high quality t-shirt weight jersey.

I hope to do my first project with it in early December. I will definitely report on ho wit it to work with it.

Steph said...

I just got my own DittoForm from Bits of Thread. Have you used yours yet?